What is Selling ... Really?
To most salespeople - no matter the industry - selling means getting people to say yes. It's all about presenting information, answering questions and overcoming every possible objection and pushback until the prospect signs the dotted line.
It's usually never about the customer - it's about making a sale … which is why most people strongly dislike (hate?) salespeople, and most salespeople strongly dislike (hate?) selling.
I mean, when you think about selling people stuff ... what comes to your mind?
As a World-Class Agent, selling is helping people make a good decision. (For them!)
To do that well, you have to master the following:
- Understanding a potential prospect's personality and preferred communication style (DISC)
- Being able to adapt your own style accordingly to make the prospect feel heard and understood
- Verbal and non-verbal communication - what to say and how to say it to earn people's trust in the fastest way possible (not scripts - questions)
- Being able to ask the right questions in the right sequence to get a clear understanding of the prospect's goals, potential concerns, urgency and motivation. In other words, what do your clients really want and what problem are they trying to solve with this next move? What's in the way?
- Helping people change their beliefs and how they think about things based on past experiences or 'hearsay' using ... you guessed it ... more questions, analogies, stories and metaphors.
- And, of course, having an exceptional level of market knowledge and insight and being able to explain all the pros and cons of various types of properties, conditions, neighbourhoods, locations, etc.
With that mindset, toolset, and skillset ... selling becomes easy.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that NEEDY energy repels people ... while being leaned OUT causes people to lean IN.
Never ever be attached to the sale.
You're there to serve, help gain clarity and get answers to their question.
If you do THAT ... and just focus on being a quality-driven, World-Class Agent ... they're gonna be yours whenever they're ready. Plus, before you know it, there will be people who heard about you (aka referrals) lined up ... wrapped around the building ... wanting to work with you ... and only you.
Cheering you on,